Ovulation happens between the 11th and 21ist day of your monthly period. The normal menstrual cycle is 28 to 32 days. During this time your cervical mucus helps the sperm by being more slippery in order for them to reach your egg.
An egg is released each month and travels down to the fallopian tube to reach your uterus. If done correctly the sperm will fertilize while in the uterus. An egg’s expiration is last for 24 hours after it has left the ovary. Since sperm can live up to 5 days, it is better to plan ahead with your partner to know when you are most like to get pregnant.
Some of the simple ways to boost your ovulation are:
- Organic foods
- Avoid plastics. There are certain ingredients in plastic that can affect your ovulation.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
- Increase your food intake that are rich in folic acid.
- Keep your weight under control.
A study was made and it found out that a person with above normal BMI (body mass index) takes longer to conceive compared with persons with normal BMI. Reduce your weight by 10% and you’ll increase your pregnancy as well as ovulation rates.
For men, obesity can result in low testosterone which means inability to impregnate. There is also the age factor for men. Ages 45 and above took longer to impregnate a woman according to a study.
Learning how to increase fertility naturally is the first step you should take. If it doesn’t work for you, you and your partner will need to go the doctor if you have been trying for more than a year.
What the doctor needs to know:
- Your alcohol intake
- Amount of smoke you consume per day
- Use of illegal drugs
- Any chemotherapy or exposure to radiation
- The time you have been trying to conceive as well as the last time you tried
- The medications you are taking, this includes vitamins and drugs without prescriptions
- History of sexually transmitted disease
- History of chronic illness from you and your family
- Changes in your body that you noticed